Tuesday 27 August 2013

My dissertation is going to be one hell of a tasty project

I'm about to enter my third year at university. And I'm scared. Not of the work load or the pressure or the late night InDesign and Photoshop sessions; but of getting fat.

I'm not self-conscious of my body, I'm proud of my curves. I eat healthily, and enjoy desserts and cakes as much as the next person, but I'd never starve myself to live up to the scrawny standard of the industry I will graduate into (the fashion industry that is). Raw celery is far too dull!

This is why one of the reasons I have decided to do a non-fashion based dissertation. Don't get me wrong, I love fashion. I love the excitement, the clothes, the new collections, the bitchiness of the behind the scenes fitting rooms, but food will always trump it.

James Martin's double raspberry bakewell tart is on my list of things to try this year


I believe love of food can begin anywhere. I fell in love with baking and cookery as a tiny child, being fed interesting and exciting dishes whilst my friends gorged themselves on Happy Meals and tinned spaghetti. I had my own restaurant in the kitchen, where menus were written in an illegible hand, but adored by my hungry guests. My cookery skills are purely the work of my parents; who discovered a world of exciting flavours and new dishes as teenagers, and passed their skills and natural flair down to me. Also, to my Nanna, a wonderful woman who loves baking, and would put up with silly requests for currantless scones (after they had been baked) just to keep a smile on a child's face.

My love of food is also deeply nestled in the literature I read as a child. Food takes you to another place, where houses are built of gingerbread and rivers run wild with comforting currents of melted milk chocolate. Roald Dahl is my inspiration behind encouraging new and exciting dishes. His words, passion and wonder made each element of his tales come alive. I too travelled on the giant peach with James, and tasted its sweet nectar as it balanced precariously atop the Empire State Building. I also learnt an important lesson from a friendly giant; “The human bean is not a vegetable.”

My project will explore the importance of eating local produce when possible. After the rise of the horsemeat scandal, and the creation of a lab grown burger, knowing what goes into our food is becoming increasingly more important.

I firmly believe that we should support our local butcher, invest in local vegetables, try local cheeses and of course, buy British. Food festivals are a great way of exploring all of the great produce we as a country. They offer tasters, great information about how best to cook your steaks and how to prepare fish, and most of all are fun to go to.

Over the next year I will be posting my usual fashion pieces, along with foodie adventures, new recipes and, as I mentioned earlier, progress of my ever widening waist line....

...a gym membership will be opened when term starts.


x

No comments:

Post a Comment